What evolves faster than the World Wide Web right now? I'm asking you... Who never watched the stars and thought about the light from those stars traveling billions of miles for billions of years to finally reach planet Earth? Did you know that what you're seeing might already be gone?
You're probably asking yourself what my point is. The thing is, lots of stuff that's popular on the web today won't exist in a couple of years either. You can even bet that, when you'll put your new website online, that there are probably already new tools and trends which means you're already not fully up-to-date. No need to panic though and paranoïa isn't an option either! A website normally lasts around 2 to 3 years. Anything more than that and the Web would've already changed alot, and if you don't take steps to renew your image, people will notice you're missing the parade. If that starts happening after 2 to 3 years, imagine after 5, 7 or even 10 years! Might as well say you've disappeared like the dinosaurs 65 million years ago...
A website is never really finished. It needs to change and adapt to its users and the latest rules/trends (search engines, social networks, etc.). Here's a guide to help you decide if it's time for you to update your website.
How to know if I need to update my website?
- Did you change your website's content in the last 2 years?
- Do you offer the same products and services as when you first put your website online?
- Do you have access to statistics allowing you to view the performance of your website?
- Do you have access to a CMS allowing you to update everything by yourself?
- Is your website compatible with tablets and mobile phones (responsive design)?
- Do you have an online-shop or a booking engine?
- Do you offer the possibility to subscribe and send newsletters?
- Is your website optimized to share its content on all the popular social networks?
- Has the number of visitors to your website increased?
By answering these questions, you can determine if it's time for you to upgrade this vital marketing and communication tool.